IOM is looking for a Protection Assistant (re-add) according to the Terms of Reference below. Interested
applicants are invited to apply by 16.06.2019 at the latest, referring to the vacancy notice ref. code on thee-mail subject header.
OPEN TO INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY
Code: SVN-44/2019/S – BD1 Position Title: Protection Assistant
Duty Station: Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh Estimated Starting
Date: As soon as possible
Classification: G-4/01 (UN Salary Scale) Type of Appointment:
Special Short Term
(Initially 6 Months with
possibility of extension)
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the respective supervisor – Child Protection and Protection
Mainstreaming Coordinators – and in close coordination with the overall Child Protection/ Protection
Mainstreaming Officer, the incumbent will give support the Protection section through providing a range of
programmatic, procedural, and operational support in implementing, executing and monitoring IOM’s
programmatic response that is consistent with IOM’s rules and regulations.
The incumbent will be assigned to inter alia, the following tasks:
1. Conduct regular monitoring visits to sites under the supervision of CP/PM Officer and in coordination
with other IOM units to ensure protection and child protection are being mainstreamed across sectors;
2. Support the Protection team in referring and following up on protection cases;
3. Disseminate information on services available to affected populations under the supervision of CP/PM
Officer and maintain list of services up-to-date;
4. Provide support to Protection team in organization of training to IOM and implementing partners on
protection, child protection, protection mainstreaming, GBV and disaster risk reduction;
5. Provide general assistance to the Protection team during training on specific protection issues;
6. Provide support in any field level research work in terms of community sensitization on protection,
focus group discussions with communities;
7. Support sectors and CiC strengthening community structures and monitoring proper functioning of
complaints/feedback mechanisms, in coordination with CwC;
8. Collect, process and store protection data and share it regularly to the Line Manager;
9. Adhere to the Standards of Conduct of IOM;
10. Perform other tasks that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Education, Experience and Skills:
• University degree, preferably in Law, Political or Social Sciences, or Social Work, or competencies
equivalent to a combination of training and experience;
• A minimum of 2 years-experience in the field of migration, IDP and refugee assistance and protection
(including specific experience on Protection);
• Experience in emergency operations and liaison with other UN and non-UN humanitarian actors.
• Knowledge of the region and/or country an advantage.
IOM is an equal opportunity employer and women are encouraged to apply.
IOM Offices and vehicles have smoke-free work environment.
Method of Application:
Candidates with the required qualifications can apply through email by mentioning the reference code
SVN-44/2019/S-BD1; Protection Assistant (re-add) in the subject line to: [email protected]; with the
(i) Application Letter/Cover Letter
(ii) Curriculum Vitae
(iii) Personal History Form (PHF) which can be downloaded from the IOM Dhaka website:
(iv) Scan copy of Photo
APPLICATION WITHOUT PROPER REFERENCE CODE MENTIONED ABOVE WILL BE DISREGARDED
This is a re-circulation to widen the pool of candidates. Candidates who have previously applied for
this vacancy do not need to re-apply.
Please ensure that your application is complete with the above-mentioned documents. As incomplete
applications generate an immense administrative burden for our organization. As a rule, candidates who
have not properly submitted their application with required documents will be excluded from
Any attempt for persuasion will be considered as a disqualification
ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CALLED FOR ASSESSMENT
Note for internal candidates:
with refer to IN233 and Clause 7.5 of IOM Recruitment Policy:
Staff members selected for a VN/SVN in his or her same category at one grade higher than his or her personal
grade shall be appointed at the advertised grade. A staff member selected for a VN/SVN to a position which is
two grades higher than the staff member’s current grade, will be appointed at the interim grade, and six
months later at the higher grade.