The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organisation. The IFRC Country Office in Bangladesh has worked alongside the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) for more than 30 years in humanitarian fields including disaster management, with a focus on the cyclone early warning and response programme in the coastal belt, and disaster preparedness and response during natural and other disasters.
Currently, the IFRC Country Office Bangladesh is looking for suitable Bangladeshi nationals for the following positions for its Population Movement Operations (PMO) in Cox’s Bazar:
|Number of position||:||1 (One)|
|Duration of the contract||:||6 Months (with poss. Extension)|
|Based in||:||Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh|
|Reporting to||:||Communication Delegate|
Reporting to the communications delegate, the Communications Officer operates in pursuit of goals identified in Strategy 2020 and support the population movement emergency operation. The principal aim of the communications unit is to ensure that the Red Cross Red Crescent humanitarian response is professionally communicated, understood and supported by internal and external stakeholders.
Communicating with key audiences is critical for maintaining and growing public, government and donor support, both locally and internationally. IFRC communications efforts are focused on highlighting the humanitarian needs on the ground and securing positive positioning for the response efforts of Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) and Movement partners.
Maintaining a steady flow of timely and accurate public information focusing on the humanitarian needs and the Movement response is vital to support effective resource mobilisation efforts and enhance collaboration with key partners and stakeholders. The work programme includes proactive engagement with international media, social media, talking points, press releases, photos and raw video.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The role of the Communications Officer is to support the emergency operation under the supervision and guidance of the Communication Delegate. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Identifying and producing high quality communications content (media pitches and support for interviews, social media, talking points, press releases, photos and raw video etc) to support positive positioning for the response efforts of Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) and Movement partners.
- Building and maintaining good working relationships with IFRC colleagues, the BDRCS and ICRC and partners national societies.
- Media scanning and monitoring.
- Collaborating to identify and address reputational issues.
- Contributing to capacity building of BDRCS counterparts.
- Relevant university degree or equivalent qualification
- 5 years of experience of working in journalism and public relations-required
- Red Cross Red Crescent experience-preferred
- Experience in coaching and transferring skills and knowledge to counterparts-preferre
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good computer skills (Windows, spread sheets, word processing)
- Fluently spoken and written English and Bangla.
- Advanced knowledge of written and spoken English
Professionalism, Communications, Collaboration and teamwork, National Society and customer relations, Building Trust and alliances, Accountability, Judgement and Decision making, Creativity and innovation.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their hard copy application with full CV, a recent passport size photograph, plus covering letter mentioning expected salary to the Head of IFRC Country Office- Bangladesh, 684-686, Red Crescent Sarak, Bara Mogh Bazar, Dhaka-1217,on or before 9th Nov. 2017 by 17.00 hrs
Please mention the name of the position on top of your envelope.
Person/s those who do not meet the above requirements are not encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be invited for interview.
The IFRC is an equal opportunity employer.